CANEGROWERS is the first port of call for all levels of government on matters relating to sugarcane.
REDUCING INPUT COSTS
If we are to remain competitive, we need to achieve more with less.
CANEGROWERS keeps pressure
SOME OF THE KEY AREAS
Water & Electricity
- Keeping the screws on proposed water and electricity price hikes is an ongoing and time intensive issue.
- We’ve achieved millions in savings for members through successful government lobbying.
- CANEGROWERS continues to work on building partnerships to bring transparency and competition to the fertiliser markets in cane areas.
- CANEGROWERS local offices provide over the counter assistance and phone assistance for permits, safety and reef regulation compliance.
- CANEGROWERS provides assistance with sidings and siding groupings, CCS and cane auditing results.
Labour, skilling & training
- CANEGROWERS works on a range of programs to address labour and skill shortages for our industry.
- Many CANEGROWERS offices offer a wide variety of training and courses.
- CANEGROWERS won a permit for the ongoing use of high floatation tyres; now working on a long term solution.
- Members are offered legal advice on issues such as native title and easements, and resumptions.
- When Insurers started to withdraw face to face services from high risk sugarcane regions, CANEGROWERS stepped in, introducing a specialised insurance service for clients to secure competitive cover.
Millions in funding secured for on-farm improvements
- CANEGROWERS has won millions in funding for its members to help implement the latest technology and practices.
- This funding, such as the recent Reef Rescue and Rural Water Use Efficiency initiative, provides 50/50 funding to growers to implement productivity, profitability and sustainability projects on farm.
Research & Development
- CANEGROWERS knows that a competitive sugar industry needs an efficient and modern research function, and has been at the front and centre of research reform and the formation of Sugar Research Australia.
- CANEGROWERS supports diversification projects that will deliver a return to growers. It has supported initiatives for ethanol and co-generation.
Environment & grower profitability
- CANEGROWERS goes into bat for its members on environmental claims, leading the fight by using science against proposed retrictions on agchemicals. fertiliser and practices.